SHS COURSES THAT MAY BE TAKEN AS GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS OR AS ELECTIVES
NOTE: These courses may be used to satisfy specific General Education requirements (where noted); certain courses may also be used to count as specified electives depending on a student’s area of concentration. They may also count towards the 128 hours required for graduation. Students are not required to take General Education courses in the major and additional hours for general electives may be taken outside the department.
- SHS 120 Children, Communication and Language Ability, 3 hours. Behavioral Sciences course. Offered Fall and Spring as second 8 week courses.
- SHS 150 Hearing Processes and Disorders, 3 hours. Offered Fall and Spring, second 8 weeks only.
- SHS 121 American Sign Language, 4 hours. Offered Summer, Fall and Spring.
- SHS 221 American Sign Language 2, 4 hours. Offered Fall and Spring.
- SHS 321 American Sign Language 3, 4 hours. Offered Fall and Spring.
Note: SHS 121, 221, and 321 have been approved to meet the University’s foreign language requirement.
- SHS 199 Undergraduate Open Seminar, 1 to 5 hours. May be repeated up to a maximum of 5 hours. Approved for letter and S/U grading. Must be arranged with individual faculty member.
- SHS 222 Language and Culture of Deaf Communities, 3 hours. Offered Fall and Spring during the first 8 weeks only. US Minority Culture course and Social Sciences course.
- SHS 270 Communication Disability in the Media, 4 hours. Advanced Composition and Social Sciences course. Offered Fall.
- SHS 271 Communication and Aging, 3 hours. Social Sciences course. Offered Fall.
- SHS 291 Research Lab Experience in SHS, 1 to 3 hours. May be repeated up to a maximum of 6 hours. Approved for S/U grading only. Must be arranged with individual faculty member. Offered Fall and Spring.
- SHS 352 Hearing Health and Society, 3 hours. Offered Spring.
- SHS 375 Communication Partners and Health, 3 hours. Offered Fall and Spring. (Repeatable up to six hours.)
- SHS 383 Special Topics. 3 or 4 hours. Lecture course in topics of current interest in speech and hearing science; specific subject matter announced in the Class Schedule. May be repeated if topics vary.
- SHS 390 Individual Study, 2 to 4 hours. May be repeated up to a maximum of 6 hours. Must be arranged with individual faculty member. Offered Fall & Spring. Prerequisite: Ten hours of speech and hearing science and written approval by the faculty member who will sponsor and supervise the student’s work.
- SHS 395 Honors Individual Study, 2 hours. May be repeated up to a maximum of 4 hours. Must be arranged with individual faculty member. Offered Fall and Spring. Prerequisite: Senior standing; a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or consent of the head of the department
In addition to departmental requirements, students must also complete a series of university General Education requirements. A list of categories and approved courses to satisfy General Education areas may be found at: courses.illinois.edu.
For Additional Information contact:Kathi Ritten
901 South Sixth Street
Champaign, IL. 61820