Mission Statement: Enhancing communication across the lifespan by integrating research and clinical practice from the biological, behavioral, and social sciences.
Vision Statement: Serve as a global leader for interdisciplinary research, education, clinical practice, and public engagement in human communication and its disabilities across the lifespan.
Established in 1973 within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Department of Speech and Hearing Science went through several name changes before finally becoming part of the College of Applied Health Sciences in 1991.
The University of Illinois Speech Clinic began as an outreach program in a janitor's mop closet in Lincoln Hall in 1938. Dr. Severina Nelson could find no other space to conduct her speech therapy. Two years later, with the title of director of the speech clinic and a $2,000 grant, Dr. Nelson moved the clinic to a spacious new office in Gregory Hall. The Speech and Hearing Clinic was later housed in the Lorado Taft House where it remained until it moved to its present building in 1975. In 2007, the Speech-Language Pathology Clinic moved to a new, expanded, state-of-the-art facility located in Research Park. The Audiology Clinic and the Department of Speech and Hearing Science remain in the Speech and Hearing Science building.
Our Strategic Plan
View our White Paper.